- Function & Responsibilities
- Review exploration programmes of companies for adequacy
- Half yearly review of work programmes in Petroleum Exploration Licence (PEL) areas
of ONGC & OIL, awarded on Nomination Basis.
- Processing and review of all the PEL and ML cases for the Ministry.
- Review of work programme and budget of all exploration blocks and fields under PSCs.
- Monitoring of all CBM blocks awarded under CBM rounds I, II & III.
- Change of Participating interest and assignment cases.
- Participation in Management Committee meetings.
- Cost monitoring, statutory payments to government, Profit sharing to government.
- Facilitating statutory & other clearances.
- Extension of phases, relinquishment of acreages, assignment, appointment of auditor,
approval of audited accounts and other PSC related issues.
- Participation in arbitration matters.
- Advise Government on policy formulations.
- Issuance of essentiality certificates.
- Technical & financial evaluation and review of development plans of commercial discoveries
- Concurrent review of reservoir performance of all the major fields under private
/ JV operators and major fields of NOCs including Bombay High .
- Advise Government on offering and award of acreages under NELP & CBM rounds for exploration
as well as, matters relating to relinquishment of acreages.
- Conduct Studies, Surveys, Information Drilling and Related Activities in Unexplored
or Poorly Explored Areas.
- Upgrade information in these areas viz. reprocessing and reinterpretation of data.
- Identification of blocks, preparation of Basin Dockets & Data Packages, organizing
road shows in the country and abroad for promotion of blocks & sale of data.
- Technical evaluation of NELP and CBM round bids and recommendations to Ministry.
- Assist MOPNG in contract negotiations & their finalization.
- Technical advice to MOP&NG on issues relevant to exploration and optimal exploitation
of oil and gas
- Monitoring of Production Sharing Contracts (PSC) as Govt. representative to achieve
exploration targets and optimal exploitation of hydrocarbons in the country.
- Technical advice on preparation of 5 year plans.
- Technical advice on Quarterly Progress Reports of ONGC and OIL.
- Preservation, upkeep and storage of data / samples pertaining to petroleum exploration,
production, etc. and the preparation of data packages for acreage on offer
- Creation and maintenance of National E&P Data Base and Archive System.
- Storage of data acquired by DGH and oil and gas companies.
- Field Surveillance of producing fields and blocks to monitor their performance
- Compliance of Ministry of Defence (MOD) guidelines
- DGH scientists remain onboard all the seismic vessels and deep water drilling rigs
- DGH geophysicists accompany all raw / field seismic and G.M. data whenever it leaves
the country for processing and interpretation.
- All other matters incidental there to and such other functions as may be assigned
- Coordinate the technical activities of all projects under National Gas Hydrate Programme
- To provide input material for Parliament Questions, Parliamentary Committees relating
to DGH and Pvt /JV operations.
- Issuance of Essentiality Certificates for import of goods used in petroleum operations.
- Clearances issued during April 2007 to March 2008: 13,221 cases valued at Rs. 34,957.51
- Facilitating clearances from MOD for foreign rigs/vessels and from MOEF for all
projects under Pvt /JV operations.